||2/1 Battalion, B Coy
Joseph Hodgkinson left to join the forces on 31st January, 1918 aged 18. He was based at Old Park Camp at Canterbury.
Letter to JB Marsden-Smedley
Hut 24 B Coy
2/1 Lin. Yeomanry, Old Park Camp, Canterbury, Kent
I beg to thank you for parcel received yesterday the 18 inst. I am sure you will understand that the contents will come in very useful especially as we are not over rationed.
Again thanking you
Your Obedient Servant
- 2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry
- Formed in September 1914 as a "second line" (training, draft-supplying reserve) for the 1/1st. Came under orders of the 2/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade.
- October 1915 : moved with the brigade to Norfolk and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division, replacing 1/1st North Midland Mounted Brigade when it left for Salonika.
- April 1916 : brigade renamed 3rd Mounted Brigade.
- July 1916 : at Holt. Converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 3rd Cyclist Brigade in 1st Cyclist Division.
- November 1916 : became a mounted unit again, at Bishop's Stortford; brigade renamed 2nd Mounted Brigade and came under orders of a new 1st Mounted Brigade (formerly 3rd and 2/2nd Mounted Divisions).
- By May 1917 : moved to Leybourne in Kent.
- August 191 7: converted into a cyclist unit, under orders of 12th Cyclist Brigade in Cyclist Division. Moved to Tonbridge.
- July 1918: moved to Canterbury and then remained there.
1901: Bole Hill, Wirksworth
RG13 piece 3234 folio 89 page 11
1911: Bole Hill, Wirksworth
RG14PN21004 RG78PN1253 RD436 SD6 ED2 SN208